Changes between JOGL 1.1.1 and today:
- Please refere to the online repository history at:
Changes between JOGL 1.1.0 and 1.1.1:
- Fixed a bug in the checking of incoming buffers' sizes to
glTexImage1D, glTexImage2D, and glTexImage3D.
Changes between JOGL 1.0.0 and 1.1.0:
- The glext.h and associated header files JOGL uses have been updated
to OpenGL 2.1 with NVidia's GeForce 8 series extensions. The new
functions are available as methods in the GL interface.
- The developer build bundles have been changed to zip archives, so
instead of having to download multiple jars, you can now just
download the zip archive for your particular platform. The new zip
archives are versioned with the build date.
- The source distribution now contains the generated sources like
GL.java, GLU.java, etc. for more convenient use in IDEs.
- The chosen GLCapabilities are now exposed from the GLDrawable via
GLDrawable.getChosenGLCapabilities(); this functionality works on
all platforms even in cases where the GLCapabilitiesChooser is not
supported, and attempts to provide correct answers so programs can
make decisions based on the results.
- The native code for the "DRI hack" (to support the open-source DRI
drivers on Linux and other X11 platforms) has been removed; JOGL
now uses the GlueGen NativeLibrary class for this purpose.
Reliability improvements have been made to the implementation of
this class; it has been confirmed as working again with ATI's
proprietary drivers on Linux and should also work better with
- The GlueGen runtime classes have been removed from jogl.jar. These
have been factored out into gluegen-rt.jar and are referenced by
both the JOGL and JOAL projects.
- Thanks to John Burkey some optimizations have been made to the
buffer object-related validity checks in glVertexPointer, etc. as
well as a buffer size query that was being made in the glMapBuffer
implementation. This improves performance for applications
performing a lot of VBO- or vertex array-based rendering, in
particular with the multithreaded OpenGL implementation on Mac OS
- The JOGL applet launcher now supports deployment of applets which
use both OpenGL for 3D graphics via JOGL as well as OpenAL for
spatialized audio via JOAL. It now prompts the user on Windows
platforms to allow it to enable the -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
system property for best robustness. It has been updated for the
changes in the GlueGen runtime classes and native library
structure. Some bugs have been fixed, some of which were preventing
different JOGL-based applets from being deployed from the same
codebase. The documentation and on-line examples have been updated
- The TextureIO implementation has been changed to no longer copy the
data associated with BufferedImage TextureData objects. Instead,
the necessary vertical flip is now implemented by flipping the
texture coordinates vertically.
- An API for updating a sub-image of a Texture object from a
sub-portion of a TextureData object has been added.
- A GLContext.copy() operation has been added based on community
- Three helper classes have been added to the com.sun.opengl.util.j2d
package to improve interoperability between JOGL and Java 2D:
TextureRenderer, Overlay and TextRenderer. The TextureRenderer
supports drawing into an OpenGL texture using Java 2D. The Overlay
class provides a convenient Java 2D-based overlay on top of an
arbitrary GLDrawable. The TextRenderer class supports drawing of
Java 2D text into an OpenGL context. Thanks to Chris Campbell of
the Java 2D team for collaboration and to the JOGL community for
extensive feedback and testing assistance.
- Various bug fixes and robustness improvements were made to the
GlueGen runtime, JOGL and GLU implementations.
- Fixes to the DDSImage class were contributed by the community: a
bug fix to mipmap handling and support for cubemap textures. Thanks
to java.net user bandures.
- TextureIO.setTexRectEnabled() and isTexRectEnabled() were added
based on feedback from Chris Campbell, in order to simplify the
writing of pixel shaders which have different samplers for
GL_TEXTURE_2D and GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB targets.
- Thanks to Erik Tollerud, the links to the OpenGL documentation in
the JOGL javadoc were revised to point to the new on-line man pages
in the OpenGL SDK.
- Support for automatic mipmap generation via GL_GENERATE_MIPMAP was
added to the TextureIO, TextureRenderer and TextRenderer classes.
- Windows/AMD64 binaries, including the JOGL Cg binding, are now
- Worked around breakage of JOGL with 5.0u10; see Sun bug IDs 6504460
Changes between JOGL 1.1.1 and 2.0:
- lots of changes