Freenode IRC Channel
... with any IRC client.
See also User registration @ freenode.
- Open your applications or your program menu. Click on "Pidgin" in the list. It might be listed under a category, such as "Internet."
- Click on the Tools menu and choose "Plugins." Check the box next to the "IRC Helper" plug-in to enable it. Click "Close."
- Add an account. Under the Accounts menu, click on "Manage Accounts." When the window opens, click the "Add" button. Select "IRC" from the client drop-down list and enter the server of the client you want to use. Some examples include chat.termisoc.org and irc.freenode.net. Enter the username you want to register in the username field. Click "Save." If it does not enable automatically, enable it.
- Type the following command into the Nickserv window that opens:
/msg nickserv register password email@example.comReplace "password" and "firstname.lastname@example.org" with the password you want to use and a valid email address. To sign in, identify yourself with this command, replacing "password" with your password:
/msg nickserv identify password
- Select the Accounts menu and choose "Manage Accounts" to open the management window. Highlight the IRC account and click the "Modify" button. Click the "Advanced" tab and type "NickServ" into the "Auth Name" field. Type your password into the "Nick Password" field and click the check box next to "Remember Password."
Jabber (XMPP) JogAmp Channel (Deprecated)
- url: conference.jabber.org
- room: jogamp
Note: We've moved to Freenode IRC, the Jabber channel should be considered deprecated...
All you have to do is to create an account on e.g. http://www.jabber.org, http://jabbear.com, .. or take your existing xmpp account and join our channel with the client of your choice. Alternatively you could also use a so called "transport server" to join even from a different IM protocol.
New to XMPP?
- try a web based client like jappix